Thursday, November 6, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Gifts


What, if any, memorable or special book have you ever gotten as a present?
Birthday or otherwise. What made it so notable? The person who gave it? The book
itself? The “gift aura?”



Well, I get a lot of gift cards, so I count the books I buy with them as presents from the gift-card-giver, but that's not quite the same thing... I can't think of anything really special so I'm just going to rattle off a few gifts I've gotten:


I got the first Get Fuzzy collection for my last birthday from my brother; my astronomy teacher last summer gave me this for no apparent reason; my Grandmother's given me a gazillion (appreciated) books on art; my sister gave me The Black Book of Secrets a good long time ago and I'm, er, building up anticipation for it (read: I haven't read it yet but I want to, I do!); and the one that I do actually remember and treasure now that I think about it, my parents gave me set of gorgeous, gilt-edged, leatherbound books containing Anna Karenina, War of the Worlds, A Tale of Two Cities, The Jungle Book, The Call of the Wild, White Fang, A Christmas Carol, Sense and Sensibility, and The Wind in the Willows. Awesome, right? Totally. (I have a serious predilection for leatherbound books. SERIOUS predilection.)

Go here for more responses!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have many people in your life who know you well enough to give you a book that "fits."

    I tend to buy the books I want, so it's hard to surprise me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gautami, I love it when I get one too! I mean think about it... it's something that you can enjoy in a new way every time you use it, for the rest of your life! The main problem is trying to buy me a book that I don't already have, I think.

    Dawn, I used to buy my own books but then I ran out of money. Maybe I'll have some more money by the time I finish all the books I bought the first time around... :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, made some changes to the comments... You don't have to go to the separate page anymore, and I had to start requiring word verification because of a bunch of spam comments.