Friday, January 23, 2009

Review: The Monsters of Morley Manor by Bruce Coville


This is a re-read from my younger days... I picked it up again because A) I liked it when I was eleven and usually when I like a book, I keep liking it, and B) Because even if I hadn't liked it when I was eleven I'd still want to read it. So there.

I've always liked Bruce Coville. (Click here for a list of his books.) His I Was a Sixth Grade Alien series and Aliens Ate My Homework series were and are some of my all-time favorites, and Jeremy Thatcher is The Best Book Ever. I've read most of his books, which go from kids' to YA and are mostly sci-fi or ghost-type stories with the occasional fantasy. All of them are fantastic (except the My Teacher is an Alien series, it's just not as good) so pick your poison and go to town.

The Monsters of Morley Manor, however, is a little bit outside his usual range. It starts off ghosty-horror when five monsters are brought to life, then progresses through fantasy, complete with magic rock and wizard guys, to sci-fi with world-hopping and aliens, then back to ghosty-horror.

The protagonists are Anthony Walker and his younger sister Sarah. Anthony is about ten-ish and Sarah is a few years younger, but unlike many authors Coville resists the urge to oversimplify them. The book deals with some complicated issues, involving Anthony and Sarah's recently-deceased grandfather, the afterlife, betrayal, time travel's effect on relationships, and a few other things, but it's presented as just real things that have to be dealt with, and the kids deal.

The book is suitable for anyone who can read a chapter book. The style is simple, but the plot is complicated enough to be interesting. The ending was sad, but perfectly executed, and the only thing wrong with the whole thing is that Bruce Coville never wrote a sequel. There aren't many similar books, except possibly Zorgamazoo in the genre-bending sense (and is it just me or do I recommend that book in every review...), but if you like this one you'll like his others.

Buy The Monsters of Morley Manor

6 comments:

  1. A selection of kids books should be kept on every bookworms shelf. They bring such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read ghost story - fantasy - sci-fi. I can think of several kids who would be interested in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was my favorite type of read when I was young! Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway! Good luck and God Bless, Celene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you mentioned Zorgamazoo - it looks like a fun one to read to my kids. And Coville is always great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you mentioned Zorgamazoo - it looks like a fun one to read to my kids. And Coville is always great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, made some changes to the comments... You don't have to go to the separate page anymore, and I had to start requiring word verification because of a bunch of spam comments.